Today, more Indian women are travelling alone than ever, either by choice or necessity. The risk and reward are what make it exciting and challenging at the same time.
Here are a few tips to help you stay safe and enjoy your journey, when travelling as a solo woman traveller.
- Have A Basic Itinerary: When visiting a new city, it is helpful to have the essentials arranged in advance, such as lodging, transportation, and a general idea of distances. It’s ideal to arrive during the day for some locations.
- Do Your Homework: You’ll feel more confident the more you know. Every city or town has neighbourhoods where it may not be ideal to venture as a tourist, so it helps to be aware of the general guidelines for getting around.
- Join A Group: One of the benefits of travelling alone is the chance to meet other lone travellers. Meeting and travelling with a group for a portion of your trip can be economical and safe, also giving you a chance to make new friends and expand your horizons. You may search online for local meet-ups for solo travellers.
- Watch That Cash: Think about storing cash reserves in a hidden location. Divide your cash into smaller amounts and place it in several bags and other valuables. Use the hotel safe for essential documents, and have a padlock on hand for your bags.
- Identify A Local Contact Number: Address cards, which are helpful for taxis or directions, are typically provided by hotels and may be printed in the regional tongue. Taking screenshots of your phone’s maps, or using offline maps, can help you stay on track. Keep the concierge’s phone number handy.
- Remain Safe: It’s crucial to maintain composure and maintain control. When unwanted people try to approach lone travellers, it can be helpful to dissuade them with a pretend phone call or the ever-present imaginary friend.
- Check-In Frequently: It’s a good idea to give a relative or friend a copy of your travel arrangements, including your flight information, lodging information, and schedule. Also, let someone back home know what your plans are, and check in with them regularly.
- Purchase Travel Insurance: Travelers should always purchase travel insurance because it can help them deal with a number of problems they may face when travelling. International travel insurance provides a much-needed safety net for missed flights, lost bags, or theft.* Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under the travel insurance policy.
- Blend In: Be careful about what you wear. Ensure that you are not disrespecting the local culture or sensibilities with your choices. Dress like the locals to blend in and avoid standing out and drawing unwanted attention. .
- Be Aware Of Yourself: “Bad situations only result from bad decisions.” Most accidents are the result of poor judgment. The difference between getting into trouble and staying out of it is a clear, attentive, sober mind. Always believe in your gut. It is usually only suitable if it feels right.
Embarking on solo travel as a woman can be an empowering and enriching experience. While it is important to prioritise safety, several measures can be taken to ensure a smooth and secure journey. One crucial aspect of travel safety is obtaining comprehensive online travel insurance.
When travelling to the USA, travel insurance for the USA serves as a safety net, providing financial protection and assistance in unexpected circumstances. When selecting a travel insurance policy, it is essential to consider coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellations or interruptions, lost or stolen belongings, and emergency evacuation. *
* Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.